Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Something I have discovered over the past year is that distance really does make the heart grow fonder. Not in all cases, but in a lot.

There are certain members of my family that I generally just don't get along with very well. We fight, argue, get annoyed with each other, push each other's buttons on purpose and are just downright awful too each other. We know we love each other, we just don't always like each other. Well, since being away at college I have become closer to almost every member of my family. Especially one of my younger sisters. She now comes to me for singing, boy and homework help. She will tell me about what's going on in her life because she wants me to be proud of her. And I am. I miss her and I love her and I am so happy that by coming away to college I was able to grow closer to her. I know my mom was always worried that once we were all grown up my sister and I wouldn't keep in touch, but we do. She texts me every night saying that she loves me and good night. I look forward to getting those texts and always appreciate them.

It's true that in some cases distance physically can create distance emotionally as well, but I am just so grateful that it isn't always the case.

I never thought I would become close enough to a person, that wasn't family, that I would cry having to leave them and not see them for a few weeks or months. Well lo and behold, it's happened. I felt so stupid! But I realized later that it's actually probably a good thing. I am finally allowing myself to become more vulnerable to people and to become attached. I have put myself in a position where it could be really easy to be hurt. That doesn't sound like a good thing...but it is! It's scary, nerve-wracking, freaky and really kind of a miracle for me! I feel closer to certain people because of the distance. I miss them like crazy, but I think it has helped me allow myself to open up more and to let myself grow attached to people.

This is a really random post, but it's what has been going through my head all day. And I kind of like to write about when I recognize some growth within myself. It's just nice to know that I'm not completely stuck in a rutt and that I do work on some of the things I need to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How my Weight Loss Journey is a Lie: Be Brave

Summer and Birthdays and Perfection!!

Loved and Lost, Fought and Won