Going back to the Basics

This post may end up being kind of short, despite not having posted in a few weeks...

Lately I have been thinking about some of the basic things I need to do on a daily basis. Not like brushing teeth, hair, shower or any of that, but reading my scriptures, praying morning and night, trying to serve others, having charity, patience, hope, faith, being an example at all times, and having a kind heart, always forgive others and on and on.

All of those things are so basic, and yet I need to work on every single one of those. It is stuff that should be habit by now. I should have been doing it for the past 18 years, but for some reason, some of those seem to be the hardest things for me to do. Daily personal scripture study and daily personal prayer are huge examples of that. 

I also think that because they are the hardest things for me to remember to do, they are probably the most important. They are what the Lord needs me to do so I can have a better relationship with Him and with those around me. And if I have those better, and healthier, relationships, it will be easier to inwardly forgive others. I outwardly forgive people all the time, but a lot of the time I have poisonous feelings inside of me that make it hard to be a kind and charitable person. Patience will also develop as I gain beautiful relationships with my Heavenly Father and family and friends. If I truly love them as I should, I will be patient with them, and more understanding.

Hope is another one I tend to have a hard time with. I hate giving myself hope, because what if it's false hope? What if it will never actually happen? I hope for other people all the time, but for me? No! I'm scared of being rejected and of hoping and wishing for something, to just have it torn away from me. But faith and hope, in my mind, go hand in hand. And as I continue to strive to read my scriptures, say my prayers, serve the people around me, love others (including myself), be kind and charitable, it will be easier to feel that hope and to feel my faith grow. And as I gain all these qualities and continue to work on them I will be helping myself and others to fulfill the basic human needs: To live, to love, to learn, and to leave a legacy. (Thank you Jamie Young!)

So this is more personal, just like most of my posts, but I hope some of it was relevant to you and will help you to remember to try and follow Christ and His example and to try to follow all of His council and the council of those He has placed on this earth to help us learn and understand His word.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this Jasmine. I have been thinking the exact same things lately. I have been making a list of goals of things I need to improve on next school year and right now. Maybe we can help remind each other to remember the little things.:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How my Weight Loss Journey is a Lie: Be Brave

Summer and Birthdays and Perfection!!

Loved and Lost, Fought and Won